3 Signs That Your Wiring Needs An Immediate Upgrade

Faulty household wiring is one of the leading causes of home fires. Homeowners can minimize the chances of an unexpected fire breaking out by taking measures to remove the three following conditions.

Old Wiring 

One of the biggest threats to household safety is outdated electrical wiring. If you live in an older home that has never had a wiring upgrade, keep in mind that the original wiring can't keep up with the electronic usage needs of the typical modern household. If your home is 40 years old or older and has never had a wiring upgrade, it's time to schedule a visit from an experienced electrical contractor to perform a thorough inspection of your electrical system and suggest upgrades based on the specific electrical needs and preferences of you and other household members. 

Homeowners whose houses were built during the 60s and 70s need to be particularly careful because aluminum wiring was used in many homes during that era. Aluminum wiring is subject to greater degrees of corrosion and oxidation than the copper wiring that is used today. A skilled electrician can easily install copper connectors on breakers to circumvent problems. 

Hot Spots on the Walls 

An unexplained hot spot on any part of your wall is a sign of a serious electrical malfunction. In fact, it may even serve as an indication that an electrical fire is in progress. Do not simply ignore this condition hoping it will go away. Immediately turn off the power source to the particular part of the house where the hot spot exists. If the wall fails to cool down or if you smell something burning, exit the premises and contact your local fire department for assistance. If the wall cools down, leave the power source off and call a qualified electrician to assess the problem.

Scorch Marks On and Around Outlets

Black and dark brown scorch marks on and around electrical outlets indicate that the wiring serving the outlets is not up to the job of providing for the electrical needs of the objects that are plugged into it. These marks may be present on the outlet itself or on the surrounding walls. Stop using these outlets immediately and monitor the walls for hot spots and odors that indicate that something may be burning. 

If you have questions or concerns about your household electrical wiring, please don't hesitate to reach out to your local electrical contractor at your earliest convenience. 

Share